Day 5 Relaxing in Rotterdam
I'm sorry no riding today. Preparing spiritually for the next 100km south westerly ride into the wind. Stroll and eat day. But first the more boring business of laundry.
First up was the Kijk Kubus. Wondered in there to take some photos and got sucked in to pay the €3 entrance into a crazy idea/apartment that you are sure to knocked your head on several times a day.
The Markthal which is a giant architectural space of unique combo of deli food market and several supermarkets like Albert Heijn. Wonderful sight and great quality selection of world food.
Ate some hind leg Iberico de Bellota from Madura (hell 30g was all I could afford and that's €7.77!) and a nice poffertjes with butter, sugar, Nutella and banana. Alight lunch for a change:)
After that I took the bike around the waterfront and ended up at the Fenix Food Factory - basically ex factory or dock selling food and beer for a nice waterfront el fresco experience.
Sampled the No 12 black rye IPA and the No 17 with coffee - both great.
I'm starving now. Online reservation for Umami by Han (#3 in TripAdvisor) is confirmed for 6pm. Arrived early after going back Markthal to pick up more Iberico ham, fine chocolates and some breakfast. Went for the Michelin Bible Gourmand 3 course menu. Each course is two dishes and things went progressively downhill as I got a bit bored and full. Dishes were good but not great. Fusion is cool and some of the puree and lychee gel were novel but the main ingredients, except the duck, ironically lack that last bit of umami!
First up was the Kijk Kubus. Wondered in there to take some photos and got sucked in to pay the €3 entrance into a crazy idea/apartment that you are sure to knocked your head on several times a day.
The Markthal which is a giant architectural space of unique combo of deli food market and several supermarkets like Albert Heijn. Wonderful sight and great quality selection of world food.
Ate some hind leg Iberico de Bellota from Madura (hell 30g was all I could afford and that's €7.77!) and a nice poffertjes with butter, sugar, Nutella and banana. Alight lunch for a change:)
After that I took the bike around the waterfront and ended up at the Fenix Food Factory - basically ex factory or dock selling food and beer for a nice waterfront el fresco experience.
Sampled the No 12 black rye IPA and the No 17 with coffee - both great.
I'm starving now. Online reservation for Umami by Han (#3 in TripAdvisor) is confirmed for 6pm. Arrived early after going back Markthal to pick up more Iberico ham, fine chocolates and some breakfast. Went for the Michelin Bible Gourmand 3 course menu. Each course is two dishes and things went progressively downhill as I got a bit bored and full. Dishes were good but not great. Fusion is cool and some of the puree and lychee gel were novel but the main ingredients, except the duck, ironically lack that last bit of umami!
By the time I started this last course, I just want to go home. The halibut isn't as tasty and the miso marinade/dressing just doesn't come through and the whole dish is a bit bland. The beef tenderloin is not bad but too well done for my taste and cut too thick. And the egg fried rice...sigh, let the whole restaurant down and I pretty much left it untouched.






















Comments
Post a Comment