Day 8 Bruges to Dunkerque via Veurne
Saturday 26 August. Cloudy start. Dry.
Hard to believe that a week has passed so quickly but grateful that the weather couldn't have been any more kind to me.
Quite a few places to visit in Bruges before checking out of this Airbnb and heading towards the ferry port. I have been telling people it's a tough 500km trip but Strava says I've done 521km and there's still 90km to go!
Itinerary: Minnewaterpark-> Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (Leonardo da Vinci's Madonna and Child) -> Basilica of the Holy Blood -> The Duvel bar in Historium Bruges called Duvelorium Grand Beer Café (which I didn't make).
Itinerary: Minnewaterpark-> Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (Leonardo da Vinci's Madonna and Child) -> Basilica of the Holy Blood -> The Duvel bar in Historium Bruges called Duvelorium Grand Beer Café (which I didn't make).
A peaceful morning ride around Bruges into Minnewaterpark. Ended up for a second breakfast at Carpe Diem aka Detavernier patisserie.
![]() |
| This for €12! Must be my most expensive breakfast yet. Only in Belgium you pay €3 for espresso. |
![]() |
| Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (Leonardo da Vinci's Madonna and Child) |
| Basiliek van Het Heilig Bloed |
Delighted to find this #1 in Veurne called 't Hof van de Hemel supposedly famous for its beef stew (so the waitress tells me) and St Bernardus on the tap. Man! The stew is fantastic and every bites is sweet and juicy and the beer is simply awesome but hell she tells me later it's 10%!!! Boy I'm feeling it now... The whole body, except the heart, is slowing down even as I write this.......
The Belgians must love their cobbles, they even have it inside! This St Bernard's brown is possibly the best, definitely the deadliest, beer I have ever had!
After that San Barnardus, I needed plenty of rest and must have dozed off in the restaurant and the Sint Walburga church.
As I was riding the last leg from Veurne, the anxiety about my car started swarming back. Pray I can drive home tonight. This is how I last saw it a week ago (but it was across the road from the vicarage).
PS: The car was perfectly fine and I reached home at midnight. Glad to avoid Dartford crossing charge after 10pm.
PS: The car was perfectly fine and I reached home at midnight. Glad to avoid Dartford crossing charge after 10pm.

















Comments
Post a Comment