Day 7 - Middelburg Vlissingen Brugge
Friday 25 Aug. Another fine morning having breakfast on the sunny terrace next to the town hall Stadhuis.
Looking forward to hopefully the easiest cycling day with a bit of ferry assist across the Schelde (Scheldt in Belgium).
Easy ride into Vlissingen and walked the beach to the test the water. Cold!
Looking forward to hopefully the easiest cycling day with a bit of ferry assist across the Schelde (Scheldt in Belgium).
Easy ride into Vlissingen and walked the beach to the test the water. Cold!
Nonetheless a gorgeous day with little wind and plenty of heat.
Rode the coastal road and crossed the locks at the harbour to the Westerschelde ferry and happy that it is indeed €4.20 to cross over to Breskens.
Alas I didn't bring my bike light and it was too dark to cycle back. Seems like it's even too late for some bars as they were packing up so I ended up going into a convenient store and got myself a bottle of Steenbrugge Dubbel Bruin. Has a sweet caramel malty aroma which I like.
But it's lovely day for al fresco dining.
Rode the coastal road and crossed the locks at the harbour to the Westerschelde ferry and happy that it is indeed €4.20 to cross over to Breskens.
After that, pretty much smooth riding the Strava 11.4km segment Groede-Sluis which turned out I was the only person who's done it today.
As it's a relatively short 35km ride into Bruges I was happy to clock around 25kmh average.
Somehow you feel you are back cycling in Belgium.
Bruges has been talked up by a lot of people including Clara from. Antwerp and it does't disappoint - a bit like Venice on fresh water. They share a sense of open air museum.
I was a bit late to visit any cathedrals so I went out to find the famous photogenic spot of Bruges and was glad to find both of them. I was starving and had selected the highly reviewed Le Chef et Moi so went in as soon as they open at 6:30pm.
Set menu of the day: half lobster, fan fried cod on a bed of pasta with courgettes leek and peas in mushroom sauce and a tarragon. Impressive combination and really delicate. Both dishes just lack a bit of salt. And for desert I chose a cheesecake which was equally good.
Alas I didn't bring my bike light and it was too dark to cycle back. Seems like it's even too late for some bars as they were packing up so I ended up going into a convenient store and got myself a bottle of Steenbrugge Dubbel Bruin. Has a sweet caramel malty aroma which I like.




















Comments
Post a Comment